Company –Aditya Birla Fashion and Retail Limited (ABFRL)
Parent Company – Aditya Birla Group
Launch year – 1997
Managing Director – Ashish Dixit
Products – Womenswear, Kidswear, Menswear
Number of stores – 3,468 stores, 28,585 multi-brand outlets with 6,515 point of sales in department stores.
Category – Apparel, Footwear, Accessories, Beauty
ABFRL is part of a leading Indian conglomerate, The Aditya Birla Group. With revenue of Rs. 8,136 Cr. spanning retail space of 9.2 million sq. ft. (as on March 31, 2022), it is India’s first billion-dollar pure-play fashion powerhouse with an elegant bouquet of leading fashion brands and retail formats.
The Company has a network of 3,468 stores, approximately 28,585 multi-brand outlets with 6,515 point of sales in department stores across India (as on 31st March 2022).
ABFRL emerged after the consolidation of the branded apparel businesses of Aditya Birla Group comprising ABNL’s Madura Fashion division and ABNL’s subsidiaries – Pantaloons Fashion and Retail (PFRL) and Madura Fashion & Lifestyle (MFL) in May 2015. Post the consolidation, PFRL was renamed Aditya Birla Fashion and Retail Ltd.
Designer Wear Brands
- ABFRL announces strategic partnership with Authentic Brands Group for Reebok in India.
- ABFRL acquires 51% stake in Sabyasachi Couture.
- ABFRL announces strategic partnership with Tarun Tahiliani to enter men’s premium ethnic wear.
- Walmart-owned Flipkart invests Rs.1500 Cr in ABFRL for a minority 7.8% stake in the company.
- Grasim Industries enters into a definitive agreement with Berkshire Hathaway owned Lubrizol Advanced Materials to set up the world’s largest chlorinated polyvinyl chloride (CPVC) resin plant in India.
- Grasim Industries acquires Soktas India Pvt. Ltd.
- ABFRL acquires majority stake in Shantanu & Nikhil.
- ABRFL acquires 100% equity in Jaypore.
- Aditya Birla Fashion & Retail Ltd. is born as a separate entity.
- Birla Cellulose launches ingredient brand LIVA.
- Grasim Industries Ltd. board approves the proposed merger of Aditya Birla Chemicals (India) Ltd., an Aditya Birla Group company, with Grasim.
Aditya Birla Nuvo acquires Future Group's Pantaloon Retail Ltd. in India.
Indian Rayon is rechristened Aditya Birla Nuvo.
Indian Rayon completes its brownfield expansion of 40,000 tpa at Hi-Tech Carbon, Gummidipundi, taking its total capacity to 1,60,000 tpa.
Indian Rayon acquires TransWorks, a leading Indian ITES/BPO company in India.
Grasim Industries divests its Gwalior unit to Melodeon Exports Ltd. and consolidates its textile operations at a single location in Bhiwani, MP, to manufacture both 'Grasim' and 'Graviera' brands.
- Indian Rayon acquires a stake in PSI Data Systems.
- Aditya Birla Group acquires Madura Garments.
- Grasim acquires 2.5 crore shares (just over 10% of equity) in Larsen & Toubro from Reliance Industries Ltd.
- The Group consolidates its textiles and apparels business.
- The Group forays into e-business.
Peter England is launched in India and it goes to become the largest selling brand in the country.
With the launch of Allen Solly, Indians are introduced to a new category of clothes –smart casuals.
- Van Heusen is launched in India to revolutionise workwear. The brand gives a new meaning to the term ‘Power Dressing’.
- Mr. Kumar Mangalam Birla gets actively involved in the Group's operations.
Louis Philippe is launched in India to become the maker of finest menswear in the country.
Madura Garments Ltd. is established.
Mr. Aditya Vikram Birla becomes Chairman of Grasim Industries.
Harihar Polyfibres is established in Harihar, Karnataka.
P.T. Elegant Yarn is established to manufacture spun yarn in Indonesia.
Mr. Aditya Vikram Birla sets up Indo Thai Synthetics Company Ltd., the Group's first overseas company.
Grasim Industries sets up 15,000 tpa VSF unit in Mavoor, Kerala.
Indian Rayon Corporation Ltd. Is acquired.
Mr. Aditya Vikram Birla establishes Eastern Spinning Mills and Industries Ltd.
Grasim Industries acquires Bhiwani Textile Mill in Bhiwani, Haryana.
A composite textile mill is set up in Bhiwani, Haryana.
Grasim Industries is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange, Bombay (now Mumbai).
Grasim Industries sets up its 2nd manufacturing plant in Nagda, Madhya Pradesh.
Grasim Industries Ltd. is incorporated on 25 August 1947 to manufacture cotton and man-made textile fibres in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh.
Mr. GD Birla represents India at the 1st and 2nd Round Table conference in London, Great Britain.
Mr. GD Birla acquires Kesoram Cotton Mills in Calcutta, Bengal.
Jiyajeerao Cotton Mills is established in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh.
Birla Cotton Spinning and Weaving Mill Ltd. is founded in Delhi.
- Mr. Birla sets up the Birla Brothers Ltd., a managing agency.
- Mr. GD Birla, grandson of Mr. Shiv Narayan Birla, sets up the first Birla jute mill, marking the Group’s entry into the manufacturing sector, in Calcutta (now Kolkata), Bengal.
Mr. Shiv Narayan Birla starts trading cotton in Pilani, Rajasthan.